St. Andrews Revitalization Projects
In 1989, after a detrimental period of economic decline, the City of Panama City designated the commercial waterfront as a Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) so that a portion of the property taxes generated in the area would support public improvement in the CRA. In 1995-1997, a two-year visioning project brought area residents and stakeholders together to define what a revitalized St. Andrews would be. In 1997, St. Andrews became part of the inaugural Waterfronts Florida program that would provide technical and limited financial assistance to the community in achieving its vision.
Since then, the Historic St. Andrews Waterfront Partnership has accomplished numerous historic preservation projects and new construction projects have been completed in St. Andrews utilizing grants, volunteers, and CRA funds generated by increasing private investments made in the area, and will continue as we recover from Hurricane Michael. The vision is becoming a reality once again, and St. Andrews is coming back. We hope you will too!
Lion Fountain – Oaks By The Bay Park – 2009
Lion Plaza Entrance Enhancement Project – 2012
This project was possible through a partial grant from the State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection in cooperation with the City of Panama City, Panama City CRA St. Andrews District and the Historic St. Andrews Waterfront Partnership.
St. Andrew School – 1997
St. Andrew School – 2007
Constructed in 1926, the school was restored and is now listed on the National Register. The building still serves Bay County. as a school.
The Bank of St. Andrews was constructed in 1907, and the building housed a number of different uses over the years, including a police substation, a thrift shop, and a bakery.
Coastal Community Bank purchased and restored the building in 2005. It is currently the location of Destination Panama City, a tourism development organization, which opened in 2015.
The former Ramada Inn and Harbour House Restaurant site.
It is now the site of a 116 unit, eight-story, luxury condominum complex called Harbour Village, built in 2006.
Historic St. Andrew Church was constructed in 1887.
In 2007, the $150,000 restoration project was financed in part with historic preservation grant assistance provided by the State of Florida, Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources, assisted by the Florida Historical Commission. www.historicstandrewchurch.com
The new Shrimp Boat Restaurant was constructed and opened in November 2008 on the original site.
Bayview Avenue Parking Lot Improvements:
The Community of St. Andrews envisioned more than 20 years ago to improve the parking facilities of St. Andrews. This has been an on-going process of purchasing and improving land for public parking. The Bayview Avenue parking lot is located on Bayview Avenue between 11th Court and 12th Street. The City purchased this property to provide public parking for St. Andrews. The CRA recently installed a new driveway on Bayview Avenue and has budgeted to improve the parking lot with wheel stops, ADA parking stalls, dumpster pads, and signage.
Bayview Avenue Boardwalk & Signage Improvement Project:
The St. Andrews CRA was awarded a grant for NOAA to improve the signage and railing at the Boardwalk along Bayview Avenue. The project includes replacement of the boardwalk planking, replacement of the railing, and installation of new interpretive signage.